9 things that I do every day to ensure that I don’t gain weight
I have always wondered how some people manage to stay slim without putting much effort? Recently I have become aware of the fact that anyone can stay fit by following some simple habits. Followed are the nine things I do every day to ensure that I do not gain any weight.
- Eat in small portions: Most of the people don’t understand how portion control can help promote their weight loss efforts. A 2004 study which involved 329 overweight participants found that 38 percent of them lost 5 percent of their weight after practicing portion for two years. Researchers at the Summa Health System in Ohio conducted the study. I always eat in small portions at regular intervals. I reduce my portion size by using plates and spoons of small sizes. Also, I never eat chips and tacos straight from the bag.
- Stop eating when stomach is 80% full: I always eat until my belly is only 80% full. By doing this I avoid the risk of overeating. Also, our stomachs produce more digestive juices to break down food when we have more space in our stomachs. I eat slowly so my brain gets a full feeling. I follow some basic rules like only eating when I am hungry, never eating anything immediately before hitting the bed etc. Most importantly, I never skip a meal.
- Detox my body: The first thing I do after waking up is to chug a glass full of warm water mixed with lemon juice. It flushes out toxins, improves digestion, balances the pH level and helps me to maintain a healthy weight. Sometimes, I mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it up. Needless to say, I avoid alcoholic beverages and smoking cigarettes at any cost.
- Exercise: Lack of physical activity is the main reason of excess weight gain. Many people start to follow different weight loss diets, while neglecting the most basic rule – you have to exercise to burn fat. Unless there is a calorie deficit, your body will not show results. It doesn’t mean one has to do rigorous work out at the gym. You can run, jog, swim, walk, dance, yoga or anything according to your choice. I make sure that I do some exercises for at least 30 minutes daily. Besides from keeping my body in shape it also helps to reduce stress. Sometimes I use Slimming Oil to get even better results.
Small acts or efforts go a long way. Try taking stairs instead of elevators. Get down one stop before your office/home and walk that remaining distance on foot. Try and include walking, as much as possible, in your daily routine.
- Eat a healthy breakfast: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. As per several studies, those who skip on breakfast are more likely to gain weight than who eat a healthy breakfast. Skipping breakfast will leave with little energy for the day, resulting in unhealthy cravings and snacking.Skipping breakfast also effects concentration and mood levels as the glucose levels in ones body goes down. And remember that the last meal that you have had was last nights dinner, which may been a 7-8 hours gap. I always eat a high-protein, low-carbohydrate breakfast so that I cut down on my cravings.
- Identify hunger: It has taken me some time for me to identify the real hunger. Often, people confuse thirst for hunger and end up having a sumptuous meal when the body is demanding water. To understand whether I am hungry or thirsty, I drink a glass full of water and wait for 15 minutes. Most of the time, my hunger subsides which means I was just thirsty.Stay away from junk food: Fast foods and carbonated sodas are the main culprits behind increasing obesity problem. I always stay away from junk food, no matter how hungry I am. Try substituting fast food with healthy food. Instead of having sodas, try drinking green tea or any other herbal tea.
Do not confuse Thirst with Hunger
- Live stress-free: Stress is one of the main causes of weight gain as it reduces your body’s ability to burn calories. Instead of emotional eating, I go for Body Massage, Spa therapy to fight stress.
- Get enough sleep: Many researchers have suggested that lack of adequate sleep promotes weight gain and obesity. I never compromise on my sleep. I try to get minimum 8 hours of sleep daily. This not just keeps me fit but also keeps me full of positive attitude. I also have a better concentration and I feel fresh and happy in the morning. When I have trouble falling asleep I go for a Spa Therapy or Steam Bath before hitting the bed. Sometimes, I even try a massage with essential oils to relax my mind.
These things definitely work for me and keep me charged for everyday challenges. Give it a try and see the change yourself.